Sample PGCE Interview Questions
Below is a list of sample questions you may be asked during your PGCE interview. You should be prepared for many scenarios as Universtities may hold differrent types of interview, this can include one on one or group interviews.
Feel free to add your own questions from the interviews you have had in the Comments below.
- How does your degree relate to National Curriculum requirements?
- Where do you think the gaps are in your knowledge?
- Do you have any plans to address those gaps?
- Talk me through your choice of undergraduate modules or 'A' level/access courses.
- Why did you choose .............................?
- Which subject did you find most challenging?
- Which module do you find most inspiring?
- How did you decide upon ........................... as the topic for your dissertation or course work?
- What are the key things you have learned from doing it?
- How could you make that topic accessible to children?
- What aspect of .................. (subject) do you feel most confident in?
- Why is that your best area?
- How could you improve in that area?
- How do you keep up to date with advances in the field?
- What books/journals/papers do you read?
- Which websites have you used?
- What motivates you to keep up?
- What ideas have you gained from other people for keeping up?
- Have you had experience of teaching children in your subject?
- What age were the children?
- How did you come to teach them?
- What were the challenges?
- How could you make ...................... (subject) interesting to children?
- What ideas have you had a chance to try?
- Remembering your own schooling, what worked most/least effectively then?
- Why do you think that approach would work?
- What made you apply to this course?
- Which other courses did you consider?
- How do you see this course as different?
- What aspects of the course are you most excited about?
- What made you choose a postgraduate route into teaching?
- When did you begin to think about becoming a teacher?
- To what extent did you consider teaching when you first applied to university?
- What aspects of PGCE are you most looking forward to?
- Why is that?
- What will you bring to the course?
- Which areas of the course do you feel you will have to work at most?
- What makes you say that?
- How do your skills in ........... compare to your peers?
- How will you address your weaker areas?
- What sorts of schools would you like to work in?
- Why is that
- What experience have you had of those schools?
- What sort of schools would you prefer not to work in?
- Why would you make a good teacher?
- What makes you say that?
- What feedback have you had from other people?
- What factors have led to you choosing teaching as a career?
- What other careers have you considered?
- Which aspect of teaching do you like least?
- Give an example of a good lesson you observed in a school visit. What did you notice about the way it was run?
- How did the children react?
- What did you learn from it?
- Did you have a chance to speak to the children? What did they say about it?
- Comment on an educational issue that interest you.
- How have you heard about it?
- What weaknesses will you need to work on to make a successful teacher?
- How have you identified those?
- How do you plan to address these?
- Why do you want to work with children?
- What is the hardest thing to manage about working with children?
- What experience have you had of working with children?
- Why have you chosen this particular age range to teach?
This Information provided by Durham University.
Comments to date: 76. Page 1 of 8.
Saturday, September 10th, 2016
Thursday, July 21st, 2016
No There isn’t much dim sum near us. The prices are hard to beat here, and it’s the same price even if you get the pork stufefd noodles. The cookies are great snacks too. We accidentally left some in a bag with a banana while we were o... read more »
Sunday, November 22nd, 2015
Woah nelly, how about them apepls!
Thursday, April 24th, 2014
Widely known Flyer Leona Edmiston Turkey's padded powers motivate Sydney's dress cal king Leona Edmiston. Because design appears the temperature, Fatmus Anderson detects five-star comfort calls for the extra edge away a trip by means of outback past.... read more »
Thursday, April 3rd, 2014
I have applied for PGCE secondary English and am wondering where do people keep themselves updated about educational issues! can u please help me there!!
Saturday, March 29th, 2014
Hello. And Bye.
Saturday, March 8th, 2014
Sunday, December 22nd, 2013
Hello. And Bye.
Monday, November 4th, 2013
Consider, for example, the of diplomatic cables. My guess is that our own FCO would be far readier to stand up for Britain if it didn’t have the option of secrecy. Successive generations of diplomats have pursued deeper European integration, more o... read more »
Thursday, October 24th, 2013