Sample PGCE Interview Questions
Below is a list of sample questions you may be asked during your PGCE interview. You should be prepared for many scenarios as Universtities may hold differrent types of interview, this can include one on one or group interviews.
Feel free to add your own questions from the interviews you have had in the Comments below.
- How does your degree relate to National Curriculum requirements?
- Where do you think the gaps are in your knowledge?
- Do you have any plans to address those gaps?
- Talk me through your choice of undergraduate modules or 'A' level/access courses.
- Why did you choose .............................?
- Which subject did you find most challenging?
- Which module do you find most inspiring?
- How did you decide upon ........................... as the topic for your dissertation or course work?
- What are the key things you have learned from doing it?
- How could you make that topic accessible to children?
- What aspect of .................. (subject) do you feel most confident in?
- Why is that your best area?
- How could you improve in that area?
- How do you keep up to date with advances in the field?
- What books/journals/papers do you read?
- Which websites have you used?
- What motivates you to keep up?
- What ideas have you gained from other people for keeping up?
- Have you had experience of teaching children in your subject?
- What age were the children?
- How did you come to teach them?
- What were the challenges?
- How could you make ...................... (subject) interesting to children?
- What ideas have you had a chance to try?
- Remembering your own schooling, what worked most/least effectively then?
- Why do you think that approach would work?
- What made you apply to this course?
- Which other courses did you consider?
- How do you see this course as different?
- What aspects of the course are you most excited about?
- What made you choose a postgraduate route into teaching?
- When did you begin to think about becoming a teacher?
- To what extent did you consider teaching when you first applied to university?
- What aspects of PGCE are you most looking forward to?
- Why is that?
- What will you bring to the course?
- Which areas of the course do you feel you will have to work at most?
- What makes you say that?
- How do your skills in ........... compare to your peers?
- How will you address your weaker areas?
- What sorts of schools would you like to work in?
- Why is that
- What experience have you had of those schools?
- What sort of schools would you prefer not to work in?
- Why would you make a good teacher?
- What makes you say that?
- What feedback have you had from other people?
- What factors have led to you choosing teaching as a career?
- What other careers have you considered?
- Which aspect of teaching do you like least?
- Give an example of a good lesson you observed in a school visit. What did you notice about the way it was run?
- How did the children react?
- What did you learn from it?
- Did you have a chance to speak to the children? What did they say about it?
- Comment on an educational issue that interest you.
- How have you heard about it?
- What weaknesses will you need to work on to make a successful teacher?
- How have you identified those?
- How do you plan to address these?
- Why do you want to work with children?
- What is the hardest thing to manage about working with children?
- What experience have you had of working with children?
- Why have you chosen this particular age range to teach?
This Information provided by Durham University.
Comments to date: 76. Page 6 of 8.
Friday, February 26th, 2010
I had my interview on Wednesday and it went better then expected! however i was shaking all the way through! all the people who were interviewing were lovely and every one is soooo nervouse as you are all in the same boat! Good luck everyone! :-)
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010
Sunday, February 21st, 2010
I have my interview on Wednesday for PE at UEL. Any tips?
Friday, February 19th, 2010
The interview for PGCE is fine, the trouble is there is so much competition now. I've worked abroad for years and worked as a TA in schools here and didn't get accepted. So I think it is if they like you personally. good luck!
Monday, February 1st, 2010
Glad I've looked at this. My interview for King's is next week and I'm terrified!
Sunday, January 31st, 2010
Hey - I have an interview next week and I'm extremely nervous about a maths test that I have to do on the day - does anyone know the format of the tests or the level I should be at?? Any help would be fantastic!! Also anyone who has had or has got an... read more »
Sunday, January 10th, 2010
I've got my interview in cardiff on tuesday. Really nervous but I think I'll be fine. I can answer all the questions. my only problem is that my teaching experience was in a primary school and I'd like to teach at a high school. I do have experienc... read more »
Wednesday, January 6th, 2010
Im currently in the process of applying for a part time PGCE,ive just sent off the application form and im really worried there going to hate it!And also doing a presentation without visual aids is really hard!All i would say is be really animated to... read more »
Tuesday, January 5th, 2010
I have an interview for PGDE PE...any advi ce?! Goodluck everyone!!
Monday, January 4th, 2010
I've got my interview for Kings College soon, anyone had one there who can give me some well needed tops?