Primary school techniques for ukulele group

Teaching resources recommended by you!
(TeachersTalk is not responsible for the content of any of the resources posted)
Forum rules
[1] You are promoting only teaching related resources
[2] You are based in or will ship to the UK (for a fair postage cost)
[3] You must only post once, summarising your site/goods.
[4] You must post ONLY in the Resources forum, links posted in other forums may be deleted.
[5] You may update your post with new deals or offers, providing updates occur no more than once per week. (Do not post a new thread – Reply to your existing post)
[6] You may add a link to your site in your post.
[7] You must NOT shout (do not write your post or subject in CAPITALS!)
[8] By posting here you agree to be bound by these guidelines, and accept these may change at any time.
[9] It is your responsibility, to check these guidelines, and ensure you adhere to them at all times.
[10] Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in your posts being deleted, or your account banned.
[11] The decisions of the Administration team are final!

Postby EdHopwood on Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:46 am

Hi there, I'm new on the forum so firstly my apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section.
I've recently started teaching a Ukulele after school group of 4 children at a primary school aged 7-8 and I'm finding it fairly challenging. I'm mainly used to teaching one-on-one peripatetic lessons which seems to be completely different.
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get the pupils to concentrate. What I'm guessing is that I need to forget my usual approach of teaching music and try and make these sessions fun and interactive. It seems that to even just get the pupils to hold the instruments and be still takes all of my energy, let alone try and play a whole song or learn some chords. I'm sure this may be part of the problem and I should be using movement or fun exercises etc, maybe some games?? It probably doesn't help that the session is right at the end of the day when concentration levels are low. If anyone has any general suggestions or resources I'd be very grateful.

thanks Ed
EdHopwood
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Teaching Resources