Privileging paperwork over relationships

A new place for Teaching Assistants to share their views and experiences.

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby Francis Hope on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi,

I'm a teaching assistant in a secondary school. I've worked in schools for over a decade now and still find it stimulating and rewarding. I'm just curious if any other TA's are experiencing a move away from the in-class-support model towards privileging paperwork and the drive for more funding. Recently SLT began promoting the notion that in-class support for our vulnerable SEN students is ineffective producing negligible outcomes in terms of attainment. Students, say on a 20 hour statement, were actually only eligible for 8 hours 1:1 the first 12 hours (Tier 1 and 2) should be afforded by QFT etc separate to SEN. Fostering dependency and building resilience were also mooted to promote the idea of removing TA's from the classroom - our presence in-class is actually an obstacle to their social and emotional development. Comments concerning how much actual 'work' a TA does in class was mentioned - once a student is on task the TA just sits there ineffective and redundant. So, what was the upshot? TA's will apply themselves to filling in the time- heavy graduated intervention forms to support applications for EHCP's for students highlighted as requiring funding. This may be practice in other schools and I'm interested to hear your views both positive and negative.

I can see that becoming involved in the bureaucracy (don't mean it to sound negative - it is equally important) will be beneficial professionally in acquiring knowledge of how the system operates but I'm somewhat skeptical over what is driving this change in attitude. Is it a genuine plan to make positive change and support our students in a more constructive manner or is it a cash-grab using the most poorly paid to do the leg work at the expense of the students in our care?

What do you think?

Kind regards,

Francis
Francis Hope
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Teaching Assistants Chat