Getting behaviour right from the start

Come here to chat about teaching topics.

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby jjb204 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:53 am

Hi

I'm about to go into my third year teaching Reception, and I'm a bit terrified because I've had two extremely challenging classes in a row. I want to make sure I get behaviour right from the start in September, so does anyone have any suggestions for things I should put in place from day one to make sure children know the expectations straight away. I don't want to be introducing things through the year so want to have routines etc in place from the start.
jjb204
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Getting behaviour right from the start

Postby Liam Taft on Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:49 pm

Sorry to hear you're worried about going back to school.

There's lots of things you can do at the start of the year to help with behaviour. First of all, you need to establish classroom rules. But it always helps to get the kids involved in creating them. This way, they'll feel more included and you'll all be on the same page from the start.

It's also important to get to know your class in September. Then you'll be able to spot any warning signs and keep an eye on any students that might behave badly.

There's also 20 great ideas in this blog post: https://www.twinkl.co.uk/blog/20-behavi ... -behaviour
Liam Taft
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Teachers Chat