Which type of PGCE is more accredited?

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby misskcj on Tue May 08, 2018 5:16 pm

Hello!

I am a little stuck between two styles of Secondary PGCE courses, and I would be so grateful for some advice on what is more accepted/approved by an employer.

I have a degree in Professional Musicianship, but would ideally love to teach Art at secondary level. (I have an A-Level, a BTec and other certificates in Art). I have witnessed that one employer in my neighbourhood requires a degree in your area of teaching; but is that standard for most employers?

The first Secondary PGCE location is Bishop Grosseteste, in which it is compulsory that I teach my degree subject: Music. (With QTS)
Would this only cover me for only Secondary, or for College level too?

The second location isn't technically secondary, however it is formally called 'Pre-Service Certificate in Education, Professional Graduate Certificate in Education and Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector)' on the website. This qualifies me to teach ages 14 and above. This location allows me to train to teach art, as I have an A-Level in it.( With a feeable top up of QTLS.)
However, would I be employable by the majority of Secondary Schools or Colleges with this qualification- despite the qualification being only 14+?

Thank you so much in advance.
misskcj
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to PGCE Chat