Need some advice. History of mental health issues.

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby 35mm on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Was diagnosed with depression and PTSD at the age of 17. History of self harm too. One suicide attempt where my stomach was pumped. All of these are, presumably, down on my medical files. I'm guessing I'd have to admit to both on the health forms? And if I don't, they'll find out through my GP anyway? Sigh. Does this automatically bar me from teaching?

Please be honest. I'm fine now, by the way :)

Thanks!
35mm
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Need some advice. History of mental health issues.

Postby vjohn82 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:54 am

Not disclosing medical issues is not a sackable offence (or an offence for consideration under a disciplinary procedure) UNLESS you then go off work due to the medical problems you failed to mention.

Besides, mental health conditions such as Clinical Depression are covered under the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 so they are unable to refuse you a position on those grounds.

If I were you I would mention it and say what you have learned from it; a school may well wish for a teacher who has had that experience to join them and possibly be a first point of contact for other pupils who have these types of issues.

Turn this into a positive; you made it and built yourself up again inside which takes a lot of courage.

All the best,

VJ
vjohn82
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Arnie on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi

How old are you know (how many years since you had these issues) I would have thought that if they're are way in the past then they will be a lot less of a problem.

Good advice above, turn it into something you can use, and let us know how you get on.
Arnie

Postby rachgeo on Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:52 am

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Bipolar 3 years ago, I was completely honest about this on my application and at interview. The lecturer who interviewed commended my openness and honesty and I secured my place. He admitted my mental health was an issue but we talked through what a PGCE means and I showed I had a strong support network and that I have been stable for a year on the meds I am now taking and they seemed satisfied. I would encourage you to do the same and I hope you are successful
rachgeo
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to PGCE Chat