Need advice re: getting school experience + job prospects

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby deleuze on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi - I'm new on here, so apologies if anything I'm about to ask is stupid, or has been asked a hundred times before (I'm sure it has, but I can't find it and I have searched for it).

Basically, I'm thinking of applying next Autumn for a primary PGCE starting in 2011. I know almost every course has the entry requirement of at least 10 days school experience (and ideally additional stuff on top of this). I've tried contacting every primary school within my area (about 15) and asked if I might be able to get some experience with them and have said it can be anytime over this year, or even next year - whatever suits them. However, all of them have said they're unable to offer me the experience. It's really frustrating and I'm not sure how other people manage to get the relevant experience if they're in full-time non-education related jobs prior to applying. I'm quite happy to take the necessary time off my work and be as flexible as necessary, but it just seems like schools aren't interested. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Also, are there any good routes into getting additional teaching/child experience? I would love to do some tutoring and volunteer work, but I'm struggling to find any.

The other thing I wanted to ask about was job prospects on completing a PGCE. I'm wondering just how competitive it is once you qualify in terms of getting a job, eg how long does it normally take to get a post?

If anyone has any helpful suggestions regarding either of these issues, that would be great and I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
deleuze
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Need advice re: getting school experience + job prospects

Postby happystar on Tue May 11, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi,

I don't know if you have had any luck in getting any school experience. I have a conditional offer myself and need to complete a school experience in order to be accepted.
Try to ask for a school observation and not 'exerience'. The university which provided me a conditional offer stated I need a school observation and this may be easier to sort out by a school, tell them you are about to do a PGCE aswell.
I inquired at about 10 schools and got an offer in less than 5 working days. Just be persistant.
I wish you luck and let us know how you get on
:)
happystar
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby happystar on Tue May 11, 2010 8:50 pm

Oh and the other part of your Q;
In terms of getting a job after...you complete your ITT (initial teacher training) then after that you do a years work experience which you get paid for and they (training provider ) do place you in for that then after you are fully qualified (FQTS) .......I don't really know what happends there.
I'm kinda in the same boat as you
:)
happystar
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby EBeee on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:57 am

Hi,

Do you have any contacts that are / have been teachers? I had a similar experience and my husband posted on facebook asking if anyone could help me. A friend of his came back with a friend who was a teacher, he had a work with the relevant department at his school and got me one weeks experience almost straight away! When I got there they explained they normally didn't do it but as I was recommended internally they were happy too help.

Use all your friends and contacts, as someone will know a teacher and they might be able to get you in.

I hope this helps and best of luck.
EBeee
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby vs11 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi Eebee,
I am just wondering - when you say 'experience', does it mean paid experience or observing experience?
Thanks
vs
vs11
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby jayarr on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:11 pm

Well, you have complete your ITT.
jayarr

Re: Need advice re: getting school experience + job prospect

Postby Poskkdet on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:07 am

thanks for the list guys. it'll really help me.
Poskkdet
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to PGCE Chat