ICT PGCE (16+)

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

ICT PGCE (16+)

Postby zabius on Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi guys and girls,

I am looking to do an PGCE in ICT shortly Post Compulsory Education (eg 16 years and above)

I'd like to get as much information regarding the syllabus so I can swot up before I potentially do the course, can anyone give me any advice on the best place to find the topics/syllabus etc...

Thanks in advance
zabius
Just Registered
Just Registered

ICT PGCE (16+)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ICT PGCE (16+)

Postby TeachingICT on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:07 pm

As far as I am aware for Post Compulsory Education, there could be loads of different courses for instance BTEC in ICT or BTEC in web design. There could be loads of courses you could teach, so i reckon just to look at colleges and the types of courses you think you could teach and then research those. With Post Compulsory PGCEs aren't subject specific so your lessons will be general and could be with people teaching english or maths etc, but your teaching practice will be subject specific.
Not to be nosey but I am wanting to do the PGCE ICT for secondary school so that my lessons are subject specific, what IT qualifications do you have? as I dont have a full degree in it, but I have been told to apply anyway I just wondered how easy it is to get onto the courses or not?

Thanks
TeachingICT
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby zabius on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:38 pm

TeachingICT wrote:As far as I am aware for Post Compulsory Education, there could be loads of different courses for instance BTEC in ICT or BTEC in web design. There could be loads of courses you could teach, so i reckon just to look at colleges and the types of courses you think you could teach and then research those. With Post Compulsory PGCEs aren't subject specific so your lessons will be general and could be with people teaching english or maths etc, but your teaching practice will be subject specific.
Not to be nosey but I am wanting to do the PGCE ICT for secondary school so that my lessons are subject specific, what IT qualifications do you have? as I dont have a full degree in it, but I have been told to apply anyway I just wondered how easy it is to get onto the courses or not?

Thanks

Hi its cool nosey is good :) - I have a degree in Multimedia (basically all things related to web-design and CD-Rom development etc... amongst theory of design etc...) and have been working in the field of web development for a few years now, the uni i applied to have offered me an interview so will need to swot up fast :-)
zabius
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby TeachingICT on Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:35 pm

Oh okay well good luck. I had an interview for a Post Compulsory course last year and i got offered a place but decided to do secondary, but they didnt ask me about subject knowledge, they asked me about why i want to teach, why i would be good at it, then i had to do a micro teach and maths and english test, and that was not to bad i didnt think, fingers crossed for you, i hope it goes well, keep me updated :D
TeachingICT
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby zabius on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:02 pm

Cheers! I'm still unsure about the Post Compulsory Education route, as Secondary teachers get paid more and the job seems more stable (wish i knew this beforehand lol)
Did you manage to get onto a secondary school PGCE course for 2010?

What did your microteaching consist of?
zabius
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby TeachingICT on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:11 pm

My micro teach was just a 5 minute talk, it could have been on anything, so I didn't make mine subject specific. I am waiting for my reference so I can apply through clearing, although I am hoping that I can get in this year, so I am getting a bit anxious now.
With a Post - Compulsory PGCE you can teach at a lower level, but if you do a secondary PGCE you can teach at a higher level, which is why I changed as it was limiting on job opportunites, and as you said they employ people on a part time and/or temporary basis more in colleges, so in general it is less secure.
TeachingICT
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby jayarr on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:39 am

I agree that Secondary teachers get paid more and the job seems more stable.
jayarr

Return to PGCE Chat