PGCE ADVICE

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

PGCE ADVICE

Postby Jag84 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi
I am looking for any advice or suggestions to help me increase my chances of gaining a place for PGCE primary in September 2011. I have 2:1 in BA Human Services degree, this is now replaced by BA Health and Social Care (which is essentially the same course content). I also have GCSE's in English, Maths and Science which is required. Along with experience, working voluntarily as a teaching assistant at a local primary school over the past 9 months, (one day a week) covering National Curriculum subjects and working with children aged 7-11.

I will be starting my application in September this year and I am concerned with the following:

My degree is not relevant enough to cover the National Curriculum subjects? To my understanding based on my degree I would be able to teach Citizenship/Re/PSHE is this correct?
If anyone has any experience in Primary to advise how relevant does your degree subject need to be?
Also what else can I do to improve my chances? As I will have approx 13 months before the PGCE course starts so would you suggest to do another course to increase my chances? Or anything else that I can do or start to do that would be beneficial for my application?

If anyone can help or provide any other information which will assist me to gain a place with a training provider I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Jag84
Just Registered
Just Registered

PGCE ADVICE

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to PGCE Chat