I think PGCE will be a mistake for me

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby aleight on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:00 pm

I am due to start my MFL PGCE in a week and I think I've completely deluded myself about wanting to be a teacher. Being a linguist people have always asked me if I want to be a teacher which, until ealier this year, I responded to with a big no. However I started to look into it and got completely swept up with having a job which would allow me to use my languages. I did some work experience and really enjoyed it and subsequently got accepted onto the course.

Now that I have sat down to read through everything, it really doesn't appeal to me. I know a lot of people who have done PGCEs and was completely aware that it's an extremely intense course but now I've realised that I'm not comitted to the cause, nothing I have read so far has interested or inspired me about the year and I don't think I have the drive to see it through.

Even in my interview, as much as the course leader seemed to like me, he wasn't completely convinced about my reasons for wanting to teach. I managed to turn it around because I knew he knew the person who I had done my work experience with very well and that was that. He has even now told everyone that the course is only 75% full and is still interviewing which makes me think that had I applied for a more competitive course, like most of them, I would never have been accepted in the first place.

I know I should start it and give it a go but I can't see myself coming out the other end. Does anyone else feel the same?
aleight
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to PGCE Chat