Degree Discipline for Religious Education Secondary

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby benjybody on Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:13 pm

I am applying for entry to the above course, to begin September 2007. I am a recent graduate BA (Hons) History of Art, University of Manchester (2:1). I have always wanted to teach, yet after extensive schools/educational experience, I have decided that I would more suited and better equipped to teach secondary rather than primary. Over the next year, I am arranging a regular placement in RE/RS lessons at a local secondary school to enhance my experience.

My degree concentration, despite being a broad spectrum humanities subject by name, has strong theological/religious connections. From the 360 credits of the degree, 60 credits were directly taught from the department of Religions and Theology, my dissertation discussed Orthodox Monasticism and the rest of my degree, although taught in the department of art history was theology based, including courses in Oriental Christianity, Islam, Philosophy and Christian books.

In addition, I took A Level Religious Studies (Grade A) and both GCSE Religious Studies (Grade A*) and GCSE SC Religious Education (Grade A*). I could also offer a second subject in schools, in that 40 credits of my degree were taken in Spanish language, on top of my GCSE and A Level in the subject. Furthermore, coming from a humanities background, I feel I would be well equipped to cover both history and art lessons when necessary.

I feel well suited to take this PGCE course, but I am writing to ask if you think my application would be considered?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Ben :)
benjybody
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: PGCE Religious Studies

Postby Cath Milnes on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:03 pm

Ben, firstly: good luck with the application! I'm Head of RS, with a degree in Classical Civilisation and a degree in Theology, and I feel that some breadth in subject matter is a good thing. My advice would be to get some experience (which it sounds like you are doing) but also do some research on the main world religions that your degree has not prepared you for. The agreed syllabus will expect some competency in Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism and Sikhism, as well as Christianity and Islam - so I think you need to do a bit of reading! You also need to be aware that 'significant local religions' can be covered by a school if appropriate - thus, if you end up in a school with, say, a significant number of Chinese students, the department may find it appropriate to cover some Eastern religions in more depth.
I hope you enjoy your time in school - its a great job, and a fantastic subject! Cath :D
Cath Milnes
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Degree Discipline for Religious Education Secondary

Postby jayarr on Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Well said Cath . Great information . I like this post !
jayarr

Return to PGCE Chat