'Serious Cause for Concern'

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby jenny21 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:43 pm

I have just finished my first placement and received my progress report and they identified me as a cause for concern. I was totally shocked as I was never made aware of myself not meeting the standards during my time there. I explained my issues but they were unwilling to change many comments and expressed my concerns with the uni tutor, however when I returned to University I was handed a letter basically saying if they do not see any significant improvement then I will fail the course.

I have been in contact with my union rep and informed him that I did not receive any guidance through mentor meetings or an action plan was never drawn up. However, I just feel so stressed at the moment and I feel with the added observations they will be placing on me, I don't know if I can cope with everything.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with the University or how to stop myself getting so stressed?

Please help.
jenny21
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 'Serious Cause for Concern'

Postby scottinlondon on Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:50 pm

My goodness, that sounds terrible. I'm sorry you're having such a rough time.

It sounds like this is very unfair. I'm currently studying and I was told that if I was having trouble, I'd be told, then if there weren't any improvements I would be placed on a Cause of For Concern ranking and given an action plan. If, after a set period of time, I still was in Cause For Concern the uni would then start to look at kicking me. But this sounds like you've been jumped right to the end which isn't fair.

You've done the right thing by going to your union rep. Make sure you have a paper trail of your complaints to your uni and tutor as well as your correspondence with your placement school saved to a personal computer somewhere. You may need these at a later date. Don't have it only on your uni/school email accounts as they may stop you from accessing these if they decide to have you leave the course.

I don't think there's anything else you can do, save for ramping up the complaints more. Can you perhaps try to speak to the head of your course? What has the union said?
scottinlondon
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to PGCE Chat