Worth doing PGCE while on SDS scheme?

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby emmdawn90 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi all, it's my first post on here so hopefully you can give me some advice!

I start on a School Direct Salaried training scheme in September, as an English teacher at Secondary level. The PGCE course is optional and will cost me £2050 if I choose to do it.

I understand that the training year will be a tough year - even without studying on the side. As a salaried trainee, I'll get thrown in the deep end and be expected to teach unsupervised from very early on. :shock: I already have an MA degree, so I wouldn't be doing the PGCE solely for master's credits. Plus obviously £2050 is a lot of money, so is it still worth it?

I'm aware that a PGCE qualification would enable me to teach abroad (I'm not so worried about that), but would I be at a disadvantage when applying for future teaching jobs here in the UK if I only had QTS?

Outside of school, my other commitments will be learning to drive (if I don't pass in August), plus I'm in a fairly new relationship and I want to make time for us to work. Could I realistically fit in a PGCE along with a full time teaching job?

Thanks in advance! :)
emmdawn90
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Worth doing PGCE while on SDS scheme?

Postby Poskkdet on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:22 am

I think that this information is the best.
Poskkdet
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to PGCE Chat