Schools Direct (salaried)

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby Verystormy on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:28 am

Hi all

I am not sure if I am posting in the correct area, but hope someone may assist.

I am a proffessional scientist (geoscience) who has been working for the last 7 years as a senior scientist for mining companies around the world and currently living in Australia.

I am looking at a career change to teaching as it is something I have always been interested in and during my time at university I was a volunteer in a number of teaching projects, including mentoring children who were regarded as challenging and working with children whose background would indicate limited prospect of university.

I am considering a return to the UK to teach and via the Schools Direct scheme. Could anyone offer any guidance on this? In particular the way forward - do I just apply to schools advertising vacancies?

Also, any thoughts on what subject areas I should aim at? My degree and masters degree is in Applied Geology. So, geology and geography are obvious. Though I have a lot of skills in chemistry and physics (a major part of my job). Though I would prefer environmental science / geology / geography.

Finally, does anyone know if there are many jobs available?

Cheers
Chris
Verystormy
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to PGCE Chat