PGCE PCET questions

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

PGCE PCET questions

Postby EnglishPCET1978 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:05 pm

I have a Psychology degree (2:1) and an English A level (B). I have wanted to get into teaching for a while now, but I had thought that I really needed a degree in the subject I wanted to teach, and as History and English were the only subjects I was interested in, this looked like an unlikely career option, particularly as I couldn't afford to take a year out of work to study for a PGCE (mortgage commitments etc). Recently I saw the PGCE PCET course advertised through a college near me and it seemed like the ideal solution, as it was part time I could fit it around work, and also it only stipulated a 2:1 degree and an A level in the subject you want to teach.

I admit however I am very confused by the whole pathway for PCET and can only find limited and confusing information online. I understand that you still need to study for QTS after completing the PGCE PCET (so many acronyms!) - and also that you would be unable to teach anywhere other than colleges etc.

I have a few questions that I would be very thankful if anyone out there could answer. Firstly, how difficult is it to gain QTS after the PGCE, and how long would it take, how much would it cost etc before I could take college teaching jobs? Secondly what is the salary rate for a college English teacher? If it is less than 23/24k then it really isn't worth me pursuing as this would be a significant pay drop - something I cant really afford no matter how much I want to do it. I understand a lot of PCET teachers work on a per-hour basis? Is this a better way to get a good wage? Finally, if I decided at a later date is it possible to go about converting to secondary teaching? Again, how much would this cost and how long would it take? Would I even be considered for English teaching jobs with no English degree?

Thanks for your help - apologies for the lengthy post!
EnglishPCET1978
Just Registered
Just Registered

PGCE PCET questions

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to PGCE Chat