Nervous

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Nervous

Postby Flumptious on Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi.

I think I want to move into teaching. I am currently a university lecturer (and have been for 17 years), but I recently heard that my department is being closed down. I have said that I will take 'Voluntary Severance', so I can start a PGCE in October.
I haven't done any observation, yet - my first session will be on Friday, and I've organised 4 more days for next month. i have been thinking that I am sure I know I want to go into this, but maybe I am silly not to have done it, yet.
I have lots and lots of experience of teaching 18+ year olds, in lectures and in classroom practicals. It'll be a different system, but not *that* different, I think.

I thought I was doing the right thing, although I just had some negative messages on another forum, and now I'm having a bit of a dither. Am I doing the right thing?

I will have to change my subject a bit (from geology to geography), because quite a lot of what I teach at university isn't usually taught in school, so I will have to do one of these SKE courses, which should be fine. There will be quite a bit of cross-over.

Are you guys all fresh graduates, or are them some older folks, too? I am in my late forties, with kids of a similar age to the secondary school kids I would be teaching.

Dither dither dither!

Flump
Flumptious
Just Registered
Just Registered

Nervous

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Nervous

Postby 25101953 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi Nervous

I hope you are well.

I'm looking to do a PGCE at some point. I am a bit confused - don't you have to have observations prior to applying to the PGCE?

If it makes you feel better, Teacher Direct have suggested to me Maths, English or Religion. I have a Psychology degree. I can see the Religion angle as all my free choice is Religion related, but surprised given thier other advice.

Cheers
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Nervous

Postby Flumptious on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:42 pm

I did my first day of observation today, and I have 4 more organised in a couple of weeks time. (I was spposed to have another, tomorrow, but the hospital has reorganised an appointment, which it says has to be tomorrow, and so that is more important!). I had thought that you only needed a couple of says of observation, but I now realise that it is a couple of weeks. I hope I can fit it all in!
Flumptious
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to PGCE Chat