Micro-Teaching Ideas

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Micro-Teaching Ideas

Postby Tara_88 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi,

I've applied for a Secondary Geography PGCE and have got an interview at Portsmouth Uni next week. It's a day-long interview and one of the activities is micro-teaching. For this we've got to each prepare a 10 minute lesson and teach it to other interviewees, the letter I received suggests teaching a hobby, skill or interest but I'm really stuck on what to do my lesson on... Can anyone help me?! We have to provide all of our own equipment as well so I don't know what I should take :S

And ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks x
Tara_88
Just Registered
Just Registered

Micro-Teaching Ideas

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Micro-Teaching Ideas

Postby iant 75 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi Tara,

I'm on my second year PGCE post 16 and have had to do a few micro teaching sessions. being an interview your going to be nervous, so pick a subject that you can talk about even when flustered, will help you keep calm, if you know your stuff, no one can phase you!!

as you only have ten minutes, pick something really easy and they should be doing the work, how about eg talk a little about africa, and then get them to assemble a lamineted jigsaw of where the right countries should be?? planets in our solar system, get them to put them in order???

The emphasis in PGCE at the moment is making it student centered learning, so you talk as little as possible and let them do all the learning!!

hope it helps and good luck in your interview :)
iant 75
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby lpfbeauty on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:24 am

Hi Tara,

I agree with iant75, if your talking about something that you are passionate about or are confident in your knowledge of the subject then it is easy to talk about it and like wise answer any questions which may be asked competently.

If you are not driving or do not have prior knowledge of where the session will be held then I strongly advise you only pack what you can comfortably carry, the last thing you want is to have to struggle with luggage or waist time setting up.

I would talk for 5 minutes using visual or audio aids and then I would spend the following 5 minutes directing them to do something interactive
lpfbeauty
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby TinaD on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:00 pm

Why not base your micro session on "Dreaded Interview Questions", this session would probably put everyone at ease and very relevant to your day. Should you requrie a lesson plan on this session let me know and I send. The session is an hour long but you could complete one part easily in ten minutes.
TinaD
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby caz on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:02 am

Hi I will also be doing a 30 minute micro teach and am stuck with ideas. Tina your idea sounds brilliant, is there any chance you could email me your info. Ta x
caz
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby stevie31 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:23 am

Hi Tina,

I am not sure if you will pick this up but so you mind sending me that Micro-teach on email as well?
Stealami@yahoo.co.uk

Thank You
Steve
stevie31
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby laura1809 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Tina,

Your idea is a fantastic one. (and a popular choice it seems) I too, would like a copy or example of your lesson plan if at all possible?!

many thanks in advance; My email address is ldryden@nhc.ac.uk
laura1809
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby jayarr on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:24 pm

I totally agree wit hiant75, if you are passionate about or are confident in your knowledge of the subject.
jayarr

Postby monee040 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi Tina,
I just registered after viewing your 'dreaded interview questions' micro teach info. could you please forward me the info as I have to do a 30min micro teach and am really stuck :? . thanx ! my email add is monwara.nessa@live.co.uk.
monee040
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby julrat1956 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi Tina,

I've just read your idea about a micro lesson on the dreaded interview questions and would be very grateful lif you could email me a copy of your lesson plan please.
Many thanks. My email address is hughes6hf@btinternet.com
julrat1956
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby katsta1 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:51 pm

Hi Tina

I saw your pice on micro teaching and wondered if you could send me the lesson plan you mentioned , I would greatly appreciate it, my email address is katrina.cole1@ntlworld.com or if you just have an idea for something else i could use that would be just as equally welcome.

Kind Regards

Katrina
katsta1
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby beckyayris on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:45 am

I also have an Interview for Primary Education QTS, and my micro teach is only 5 mins, im really struggling for ideas, can anyone help me??????
thanks
Becky
beckyayris
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby toddfg on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi Tina; I'd really appreciate it if you could forward your 'dreaded interview' microteaching info.
Thanks very much,

Todd
toddfg
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Sharon on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Tina could you please send me that micro teaching lesson plan on the interview questions, too? Thank you!
sharonallen65@hotmail.com
Sharon
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Swamped on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Do a 10 minute teach on map coordinates. You can embed literacy, numeracy AND it relates to geography (sort of). I can give you some more tips if it sounds suitable?
Swamped
Just Registered
Just Registered

Next

Return to PGCE Chat