Dyslexia - Experience?

Are you an NQT? Chat to other NQT's here.

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Dyslexia - Experience?

Postby MrKing47 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Hi, I hope it’s okay to post on here.

I was wondering if you could help me. I am currently doing my dissertation around ‘Does teacher training around dyslexia help and support the teaching and learning within the classroom?’. As part of my research, I would like to gain a better understanding of teachers experiences with dyslexia, the types of training they have had, are they updated about new developments etc. I have made a quick survey for experienced, NQTs & trainees teachers to complete, if they would like to.

Survey link:
https://forms.gle/LqKjMDWj4925Daj6A

Thank you in advance for those who complete it.

Ben - BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS
MrKing47
Just Registered
Just Registered

Dyslexia - Experience?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Dyslexia - Experience?

Postby WillBYourTeacher on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:37 am

For anyone in the future doing research around this topic, there's a lot that teachers never get taught about supporting SEN and this of course includes dyslexia. A lot of what I learned was from hearing how other teachers handled it themselves and then mimicking them. This was helpful but I never felt like I was 100% confident doing what I was doing as it wasn't based on official CPD materials or policies. There used to be a lot less of an awareness around dyslexia before but now there's definitely a lot more of an understanding around it. I didn't receive training from the school and things like CPD typically are just a powerpoint presentation that doesn't really help with applying any of the information (that said, my colleague in Manchester used a OneStep strategy on dyslexia and said it's very hands-on so I'd recommend people inquiring into that).

Like I normally recommend though, Twinkl's got some nice free ones that I typically go for. For dyslexia resources specifically, that page lists them all. Autism Society also has a pretty big list with some free ones here: https://www.autism.org.uk/about/adult-l ... urces.aspx
WillBYourTeacher
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to NQT Chat