New Here and Need Help?

Come here for general chat, have a cup of coffee, relax, or get something off your chest.

Moderator: TeachersTalk

New Here and Need Help?

Postby NotATeacher on Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:01 pm

If you are new to this community and need help on how to use the forum you can read our FAQ's
NotATeacher
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Here and Need Help?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New Here and Need Help?

Postby sheridan on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi my name is Sheridan and im completely new to this!
I qualified as a nursery nurse 15years ago and in the past 3 years have gained Senco,Health and safety,Food hygiene,Child protection,First Aid qualification,along with other relevent courses.I have also just completed my NVQ Level 4 in child care!I am the designated person that writes up the short and long term curriculum planning at my nursery and at our ofsted inspection last year,my written planning was commented as being 'of teaching standards'.And recently a support person came to us and looked at our planning and broke my heart again by saying im doing far too much detail of which I wasnt amused about as I did this in my own time and as a single parent of two children under 11,as you can imagine,isnt easy!! She too threw in a comment about some people in nurseries being over-qualified.
Working with children is my life and I feel im sometimes the only person in that room who takes the job seriously and genuinely care for these children and their progress.
Anyway amongst this detail, im trying to tell you im on £6 an hour,feel unappreciated,overqualified,and feel held back....I basically want to get into schools.Preferably Reception class or year 1.
I have researched and seeked help to know which path to take and I am getting tangled up in the web of options which then fork out to even more options!!
Can someone guide me in thr right direction please.
All I want to do is find the appropiate course/venue that gives me the qualification to get into the Reception or year 1 classroom?
My assessor for my NVQ Level4 said this may count towards half the degree needed?
sheridan
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Sara on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:20 am

Hi,

Wow, over qualified, it makes no sense, Being over qualified is a good thing to any organization/business, it helps with development, but there is actually a lot that do not like it when people put too much effort in, I do not know why, as I always enjoy to put as much attention into something as I can until I am completely satisfied with it.

So, I may not be of big help to you, but I have been asking my Tutors at college what I would have to do to go into teaching, after filling in for a tutor that was ill, I grew a little interest to do this, I probably wont do it, but it is an option that is open to me, and basically I just need to go onto an access course, which I will be taking next year, and then I would need a HNC qualification in the area I wish to teach and then go on to university to do a basic teaching course, I am unaware of what the title of the qualification is, I'm sorry, but some research on the net could find you this out in no time.

The Qualifications my Tutor has regarding to teaching are: PEO2/033 & PEO2/034 , 7302 Certificate, 7302 Diploma in Delivering Learning, 7303 Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector.

But I was informed that all these would not be needed if I just wished to be a college tutor.

I know this has not given you the specific help you were looking for, but I hope it gives you an insight to what you will need to do

Good luck!
Sara
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Sara on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:34 am

Hello again.

I would like to link you a little information into teaching. the board here has an article of a few basic steps you will have to take, you may be interested in what it has to say. and it corresponds well with what my tutor has told me.

http://www.teacherstalk.co.uk/resources/becoming_a_teacher.php
Sara
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby mrchipping on Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:39 pm

I lost the thread of your post Sara...did you want to go into a class as a TA or a teacher?
mrchipping
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby jayarr on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:34 pm

By the way, did you go into a class as a TA?
jayarr

Postby moroto on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:24 pm

the board here has an article of a few basic steps you will have to take, you may be interested in what it has to say.
moroto
Just Registered
Just Registered

Looking for advice

Postby aleksandra on Tue May 17, 2011 10:01 am

Hello,

I hope one of you can help me and give me some ideas. I have been to London for last 4 years and have been working as a Reservations Manager in a hotels/apartment properties etc. Recently I am getting really bored with my job...I have got 2 bachelors degrees back from Poland. One is a Tourism & Recreation as I was studying in Academy of Physical Education. I love volleyball and play around 4-5 times a week. And there is my new idea! I would like to become a PE teacher. My question is - what should I do to become one? I am 27 now and have been studying for a long time so another 3-4 years would be too much for me. Are there any additional courses which can help me?
Any ideas please!!!

Thank you

Aleks
aleksandra
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby LonePlanet on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:19 pm

@ Aleksandra

Hi I am new to this site so forgive the late reply. If you get this message and are in the same scenario you should apply at a local University to undertake a PGCE course. I am a PGCE Mentor at Plymouth and work closely with the University. My subject area is software development and I work at a further education college but frequently work with PGCE students and assist in their development. I also conduct observations and review the quality of their paperwork and teaching practice, the only bit I don't do is help them with their essays set by the university. If I can be of any help advice wise then please let me know. Good Luck :D
LonePlanet
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Spudded on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:46 pm

This is a really old thread, I hope you didn't end up leaving education because you clearly care and that can only benefit the children whom you teach.
Spudded
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby richardrogers on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:33 am

Hi.

I love this forum and the FAQ's are really clear! Thank you!

I saw some replies about becoming a teacher and doing a PGCE. My advice is this:

1. Definitely do a PGCE: it's the best preparation you can get for the profession but be warned: it is really tough!
2. Make sure you do your PGCE at a trusted university. I did mine at Bangor University and it was brilliant! It totally prepared me for this demanding profession.
3. A PGCE may give you an advantage over teachers who've quaiified through GTP, when it comes to applying for jobs. The PGCE is a very well-respected qualification (but choose your university wisely!)

I hope this helps!

Richard
Richard James Rogers
Author of The Quick Guide to Classroom Management: 45 Secrets That All High School Teachers Need to Know
ISBN: 978-1505701944
Available at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ZG1IX0
richardrogers
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Staff Room