Switching from Secondary to Primary school teaching

As a community you get a say in our content and the way the forum is run. Post your comments and suggestions here. - Having problems? Post your queries here.

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby Teacher1230 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:51 am

I am currently a music teacher at a secondary school and teach years 7-12. This is my second year of teaching and second year at this particular school. The long and short of it is that I don't think secondary education is for me. The main reason is because of my subject and the attitudes a lot of the students- and some teachers have towards it.

I am told that I am doing well, and there are some days when I feel great. These days are usually the days when I run my key stage three choir and year 7 ukulele club. I also really love seeing my year 8 form in the morning and often feel that the 20 minutes are too short! The truth is I love being in the classroom, but I am keen to see if I would be better suited to primary education.

I have been thinking that I would like to maybe spend a year as a teaching assistant to see which year group I would like to teach, but that is about as far as I have got.

Does anybody have any experience of this? Please can you share any advice or tips you have, as I feel quite unsure of what to do!

Thank you :)
Teacher1230
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Comments/Suggestions/Help