Teaching assistant expectations...

Come here to chat about teaching topics.

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby Lilliemae on Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:48 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone would mind giving me an insight into the expectations your head has of your TAs in terms of after school clubs etc. Our head teacher decided she wants all TAs to start staying for staff meetings every week, unpaid. There was no thought around this and it was a very off the cuff comment but it has really annoyed some people as our staff meetings tend to be around 2 - 2 1/2 hours long each week and this is a lot. What do the support staff do in your school in term of inset days, after school clubs and staff meetings? Is it all TAs or just full time? etc.

Thanks
Lilliemae
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Teaching assistant expectations...

Postby Lilly beanstalk 1 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:36 pm

I really don't think you headteacher can do this unless this is in a TAs contract? You really can't expect people to stay if you aren't paying them when most TAs have family commitments and child care to pay for. At least that's my experience of TAs that worked with me in a previous school. Are they members of an union? They should definitely seek union advice!
Lilly beanstalk 1
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby jeffnev on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:24 pm

This is incredibly concerning and does not sound fair in the slightest, you should discuss this with you union as soon as possible.
jeffnev
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby omolneras on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Yes, i think the same. You should not wait
omolneras
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Teachers Chat