Workload

Come here to chat about teaching topics.

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Workload

Postby Angry Pixie on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 am

How many hours a day does a state school English teacher work?

I am a secondary English teacher working in an independent school. I currently work about 10 hours a day not counting parents evenings, open days, etc. My husband and I are thinking of relocating. I want to leave teaching as I am not coping well with the stress and pressures placed upon me by a very demanding head teacher who appears to have no sense of a work/life balance. We have two children so I am unwilling to spend every waking hour working which I feel I could easily do. My husband - a music teacher - says he is willing to go back into the state sector. I am not due to the behaviour and marking workload. He currently works about 8 hours a day.

Any English teachers out there - how many hours a day/week would you say you work?

When I tell my husband I am unwilling to go back to the working until late every week night and also at the weekends he says that I wouldn't have to and I just need to cut more corners. What do you think?
Angry Pixie
Just Registered
Just Registered

Workload

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Workload

Postby jeffnev on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:28 pm

I am sorry to hear that you have been suffering from stress due to your current position. While I am now in my silver years and no longer in the profession, I would find myself working 3 hours each weekday evening and at least a day in total at the weekend.

If you are no longer willing to remain in teaching, do you have a firm idea of what else you would like to do?
jeffnev
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby VictorF on Sat May 06, 2017 6:15 am

What other skills do you have? i have a friend who used to be an Englush teacher and now writes freelance online on job sites like upwork.com
VictorF
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby OlegAney on Sun May 21, 2017 11:28 am

Sadly it's the same story I hear from teachers I know saying good teachers are
leaving after fighting against bad, autocratic heads.

Even worse, teaching is not an occupation that you can leave at the door when you go home at the end of the day. In your case when couples are both in education the danger of taking the static and hum of a day’s teaching home with you is more than doubled. Is this what we came into teaching for?

All in all, I think that finding a new job when relocating can be difficult, but it’s not impossible.
OlegAney
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby jb2086 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi AngryPixie,

I used to be a secondary English teacher, and found the workload very heavy.

TALIS and The Teacher Workload Survey say that the average working hours range from 54.4 hour p/w for classroom teachers and middle leaders, to 60 hours p/w for senior leaders .

I've now left the classroom, and I'm doing a PhD in Education. I'm looking at the experiences of independent school teachers to see how they compare to the state sector, and workload is one of the things that I am interested in.

If you have a spare 5-7 minutes, please feel free to comple my pilot study:

http://cambridge.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/f ... XwELcthdo9

Hope you get some rest over summer.

Jude
jb2086
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Teachers Chat