Do you let pupils go to the toilet during lessons?

Come here to chat about teaching topics.

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby Missteach on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:32 am

I teach year 2 and currently do not let children out the toilet in lesson time unless they have a note. Do you let your children go, or make them wait until break and lunch? Just after ideas for September
Missteach
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Do you let pupils go to the toilet during lessons?

Postby Ms.Milania on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:05 pm

I think the most important thing is making it clear that unncessary trips can be avoided however, sometimes in urgent situations we should be understanding.
Ms.Milania
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Do you let pupils go to the toilet during lessons?

Postby Wend123 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:39 am

Yes I do, I have a band by the door and only 1 can go at once. There is a great research piece about bladder problems and UTI's in children, this can risk can be increased if children have to keep waiting, which can result in problems in later life. I feel that if children know they can go the pressure is taken off, however, knowing your children is equally as important. You will know the ones that will just be 'messing about' I tend to give times when they can't go, input, feedback, class discussion. I ask them to wait, not that they can't go. If they don't need to go very often they just forget about it and become engrossed. Using brain breaks during your lesson can help as often children use a trip to the toilet for that reason.
Wend123
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Teachers Chat