How to Become a Teacher

How do I become a teacher? A regularly asked question on the Teachers Forum, this article should tell you all you need to know.
There are a number of ways into teaching, some of which depend on your current situation and qualifications.
Rest assured though, there will be a way into teaching for you, good luck!

This article relates to those wanting to teach in state-maintained schools in England and Wales

Routes into Teaching

To become a teacher you will need QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) this ensures that you have achieved a suitable skill level to become a teacher.

To gain QTS you will need to complete a programme of ITT (Initial Teacher Training) this will involve at least 18 weeks practical experience in a school environment. ITT can be performed through a number of options, one of which should suit everyone with the desire to become a teacher:

Undergraduate Courses

You can train to be a teacher whilst completing a degree through a BEd (Bachelor of Education), BA (Bachelor of Arts) or BSc (Bachelor of Science), the latter two with an included QTS course. The courses normally take 3-4 years full time and the BEd is a popular route for those interested in primary teaching.

Postgraduate Courses

1 year PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate of Education) courses are a popular route, providing a further year of college/university study, focussing specifically on teaching, you are expected to already have a thorough understanding (degree level) of your chosen subject.
PGCE courses will provide a total of 24 weeks (18 for primary) placement in at least 2 schools.

SCITT (School-Centred Initial Teacher Training) courses provide an alternative to PGCE (though a PGCE qualification may be awarded with some). Favoured by those who have not been in higher education for some time, SCITT is usually the route to take if you are looking for a more classroom based learning experience. SCITT is provided by groups of local Schools and Colleges with skills provided by practising teachers and often tailored towards the local educational needs. (SCITT is not available in all areas and is a competitive route to take). View the Graduate Teacher Training Registry website for further details.

Education Based Training

The GTP (Graduate Teacher Programme) provides a 1 year school based employment programme, tailored for the individual. This is a preferred route by mature people who wish for a career to change but still need to earn whilst they train. Competition is high and places limited. Places can be found through school advertisements, or via a Designated Recommending Body (in England), usually your Local Education Authority.

RTP (Registered Teacher Programme) is available to individuals who have completed 2 years of a degree course. You will need to find employment as an unqualified teacher in a school that is willing to train you on the individual tailored programme. This route allows you to continue to gain your degree level qualification along with your QTS over a 2 year period, whilst earning unqualified teacher's salary.

OTTP (Overseas Trained Teacher Programme) allows qualified teachers from within the EU and some teachers from outside the EU to work in England whilst training for their QTS. Through working in a school a tailored programme provides additional training required to gain QTS. EU teachers may be able to apply for an Assessment Only route to QTS. Visit the National Academic Recognition Centre (NARIC) website or contact the Overseas Trained Teacher Advice Line on 01245 454321 for further details.

Not found what you're looking for?


Comments to date: 197. Page 6 of 20.
Average Rating:

Shereen Matthews   Cape town

Monday, October 17th, 2011

I just want to know what do i study to become a teacher?

Cher   UK

Saturday, September 17th, 2011

I need some help.., I am an American that lives in the UK with my military husband. I have a Bachelors Degree in Early Childhood Education (B-K) but, I didnít have time to get certified before moving here. I cannot find out if I can teach in a primar... read more »


Wednesday, September 14th, 2011

Hi. I'm 34, have worked in the public sector for 12 years and really want to be a Primary School teacher. I have a degree in finance. What would I need to do to qualify? How much would it cost?

Nick   Bedfordshire

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011

I have a BA Hons degree and am working as Cover supervisor/unqualified teacher. I went to University as a mature student so therefore I don't have any A-levels, just G.C.S.E's. I have been told that i need A-levels to get QTS. I don't believe this is... read more »

Amerie   Leicester

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011

I am studying BA youth and community development. This is a standard 3 year course. Will I be able to progress onto a teaching degree???

lala   america

Monday, September 12th, 2011

didnt get any of this rubbish its a bit stupid!!!!

Jenny   London

Thursday, September 8th, 2011

I just finished degree in BA English and looking to become a teacher, I have CELTA certificate but I want to try teaching English in schools. I'm aware that I need to take MA PGCE, but when I applied the university rejected me due to lack of experien... read more »

limmy   london

Monday, September 5th, 2011

i want to become a teacher in the future, and the article is a bit usefull.
However it doesnt give me enough information...

D David   Harlow

Sunday, September 4th, 2011

I worked as a Supply for 3 years with overseas qualifications accepted by UKNARIC. I wish to do my QTS, tried but not successful. Could you tell me as many routes to accomplished this.


sarah   london

Saturday, September 3rd, 2011

it doesn't say what experience you need...

Page:  1   2   3   4   5  -6-  7   8   9   10   11  

Add Comment

Your Name:

Your Location:


Your Comment:

Security check *

security image