Provision in Year 1

Come here to chat about teaching topics.

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Provision in Year 1

Postby fallingstar_lulu1 on Sat May 07, 2022 3:42 pm

I'm just wondering about the expectations for standards of provision in Year 1. We were asked last year to set up our Year 1 unit with enhanced provision (Early Excellence style) so that the children are more independent with their learning and that we are follow on better from Foundation. We were asked to create Provision Maps to link areas of the Curriculum to our Provision. So for example if we are covering plants, we might have out resources so they can paint plants in the creative area, sketch plants on the drawing table, explore plants in the discovery area etc. Overall it is quite hard to manage as we are still expected to do 2 English groups and 2 Maths groups at tables so I'm pulling myself between my groups and trying to support/challenge the chn in provision.

Basically my question is how do you maintain standards in their provision learning, making sure that the children are not just messing about and that they are actually engaging in quality learning? I always try to keep an eye on what they are doing and try to challenge them that next step so if they've literally just joined two boxes together and said they've made a palace, I challenge them to think about what they could add to make sure that people can get inside, or so it looks grand. I also pull them on if they haven't done their best. So for example last week a child drew a doll they had seen from our Toys in The Past learning, but it was literally a rushed circle with 2 lines from it and took him a minute to do. So I modelled to him how to improve it and he went and did a much better job. The teachers in the other half of the unit (we have 2 year 1 classes in an open unit) don't tend to do this and just crack on with their groups, leaving the children to do as they please - ie running around, chasing each other, scribbling on paper and just drawing "pretty" pictures. Our Head already picked that up in an observation as some girls were drawing "pretty" pictures of hearts and stars rather than drawing something that challenges them eg using the resources to help them learn how to draw step by step faces for example. She said that they should be encouraged to do something more using the resources provided so it matches with the curriculum skills, which I agree with and try to do.

My partner teacher is quite happy for them to sit and draw and colour pretty felt tip pictures all afternoon- the same everytime - their friends with hearts and stars and mermaids etc - nothing challenging. In the sand they are let to just pour sand from one conatainer to other and build basic sandcastles - no encouragement to use mathematical vocab or be creative. Am I being unreasonable in expecting more? We had Early Excellence online training last year and it seemed to follow more the curiosity, challenge approach I'm going for, but the other teacher seems to not be along the same lines.
fallingstar_lulu1
Just Registered
Just Registered

Provision in Year 1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Teachers Chat