Will I ever have a social life again?!

Doing your PGCE? Chat here to other students, Teachers and NQT's

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby LilyA on Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:17 pm

Just accepted a place onto a PGCE and everyone I spoke to has been really, really encouraging...

I know there's going to be plenty of job satisfaction but everyone I speak to (now I'm in!) says how much work it is, how they have no life. I know it's not an easy job, I know it's tougher than your regular 9-5, but am I going to spend every moment of my life teaching, planning, evaluating or in meetings?!?!

I don't want the 9-5 "leave work at work" job, but equally I want to maintain the lifestyle I enjoy, which involves a social life. Not an amazingly active one, but a social life all the same! :D

Please reassure me someone - I am committed to working hard to be the best teacher I can be and that there will be sacrifices I need to make to achieve that; I just want there to be more to life than work, y'know?
LilyA
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby judyscream on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:40 pm

Don't believe everything you hear! As in all jobs there is a healthy work/home balance. After a while you will have to do less lesson planning as a regular pattern will develop and you will devise more "efficient" marking and testing systems. Remember you are not getting paid for your evening or weekend time, ie the school does not "own" you!
Of course you will try to be as professional as possible and have respect for you job, but as I said I believe there must be a healthy balance.
I wish you a long and happy career!
judyscream
Just Registered
Just Registered

ENJOY UR WEEKENDS!

Postby VICJIM on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:31 pm

If I'd have found resources like these (BELOW) on my PGCE it would have saved me hours. I did a PGCE and lived with fellow PCGEers so we shared many nights out after horrid, horrid weeks. Work hard but keep your Friday night free for going out, Saturdays free for recovering, Sunday mornings for a lie in...then it's back to work. That't the reality. BUT only 33 weeks so count down! I feel sorry for the poor students who take 4 years to qualify!

GOOD LUCK
VICJIM

Postby angel eyes on Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:14 am

I think it all depends on how much time you want to dedicate to working and how much to having fun.
You need to find a balance just as with everything in life, you will find that as everyone is in the same boat you will all need time off to relax and let off steam. And believe me you will have enough stories to keep yourself and others entertained all night long! :lol:

A quick word of warning, teachers talk about teaching!
Not everyone wants to hear stories about your kids, your class, or that annoying PE teacher who thinks he's god's gift! So don't forget about your friends who are not teachers. :wink:
angel eyes
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby RV on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:57 pm

angel eyes wrote:I think it all depends on how much time you want to dedicate to working and how much to having fun.
You need to find a balance just as with everything in life, you will find that as everyone is in the same boat you will all need time off to relax and let off steam. And believe me you will have enough stories to keep yourself and others entertained all night long! :lol:

A quick word of warning, teachers talk about teaching!
Not everyone wants to hear stories about your kids, your class, or that annoying PE teacher who thinks he's god's gift! So don't forget about your friends who are not teachers. :wink:
I have positive feedback from people who undertook a PGCE. No as hard as it seems. It's very easy above all if you are doing a PGCE in a modern language. I honestly don't worry about my social life.
RV
Just Registered
Just Registered

As a NQT

Postby Miiiss Jo on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:13 pm

I know there is a LOT of work, planning and preparation involved, you don't get time to yourself and you are performing to a large group of hard to control kiddies. So without belittling that; From what I've seen, the primary teachers of very young children seem to usually live a fairly balanced life, they tend to get home by 6.30pm and walk in at 9am to start next day.

That's very reasonable compared to the normal competitive office environment where you daren't take a break or a lunch time.

Have I just been getting a rosy view of things?

When I finish the PGCE course and achieve NQT status my little boy will be 3 years old.

I probably want to be available for his first year of school so is it adviseable to do my induction the year after?

What do people think?
Miiiss Jo
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Will I ever have a social life again?!

Postby alicef on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:25 am

Miiiss Jo wrote:I know there is a LOT of work, planning and preparation involved, you don't get time to yourself and you are performing to a large group of hard to control kiddies. So without belittling that; From what I've seen, the primary teachers of very young children seem to usually live a fairly balanced life, they tend to get home by 6.30pm and walk in at 9am to start next day.

That's very reasonable compared to the normal competitive office environment where you daren't take a break or a lunch time.

Have I just been getting a rosy view of things?

When I finish the PGCE course and achieve NQT status my little boy will be 3 years old.

I probably want to be available for his first year of school so is it adviseable to do my induction the year after?

What do people think?

Hi Miiiss Jo
I'm working as a solicitor at the moment and getting married next August. We're keen to start a family quite soon after that and I'm also looking to convert to teaching as I think it will offer a much better work/life balance than my current job offers. How difficult was it to balance doing the PGCE at the same time as looking after your little boy? I'm wondering whether we should put off having a family until after I've done the PGCE but if it's at all possible, I'd like to combine the two!

Thanks
alicef
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: ENJOY UR WEEKENDS!

Postby Beebeck on Tue May 05, 2020 12:05 pm

VICJIM wrote:If I'd have found resources like these (BELOW) on my PGCE it would have saved me hours. I did a PGCE and lived with fellow PCGEers so we shared many nights out after horrid, horrid weeks. Work hard but keep your Friday night free for going out, Saturdays free for recovering, Sunday mornings for a lie in...then it's back to work. That't the reality. BUT only 33 weeks so count down! I feel sorry for the poor students who take 4 years to qualify!

GOOD LUCK

Hi Vicjim You refer to some resources in your reply... where are they? I' m about to start my PGCE so I'm very keen to see them :)
Beebeck
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to PGCE Chat