University programme enhancement

Come here for general chat, have a cup of coffee, relax, or get something off your chest.

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby CurtisComputing on Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:00 pm

Evening all

As we’re all winding down for our annual leave and reflecting on the crazy year we’ve had, the old brain teaser of programme enhancement hits us again.

Bit of background, I recently took on the position of programme leader for a computer science degree at my university, and shortly after the FT tutor up and left. Even throughout his employment, the programme suffered from poor student engagement, a lack of process curriculum model, and no awareness of andragogical approach to teaching at higher education. As such, it’s been brought up that I need to look at the programme enhancement, particularly with trips and guest speakers.

We have our employment and skills coaches working on sourcing local employers in the IT sector to help with the guest speakers and live briefs, but I was wondering if anyone could satisfy the two points below?

• examples of trips or events for university students studying computer science / digital / technology degrees
• examples of where to find out about trustworthy, reliable, and good quality events and trip opportunities for these students in the UK.

I’ve come across a few places, such as EventBright, which might have good events on there but they’re mostly inappropriate for the students due to how the events are made very specific for an issue, or show conferences which you might need an MSc to begin to understand! Not sure these would really be the best thing for the students, especially our non standard students who have no prior education in computing upon joining the foundation years.

Any response to this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
CurtisComputing
CurtisComputing
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Staff Room