Secondary School Maths Teaching

Come here to say hello and introduce yourself to the community.

Moderator: TeachersTalk

Postby salopian on Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:06 am

Hi, I was wondering if someone might be able to help since I am interested in training to become a Maths Teacher in a Secondary School. I am currently studying with the Open University in Mathematics and Computing and IT and still in my first year. I am considering changing my degree to either a BSc in Mathematics or a BSc in Mathematics and it's learning.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/maths/deg ... matics-q31
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/maths/deg ... arning-q46

I love studying Mathematics much more than I enjoy Computing and IT and find it fascinating but ultimately I want it to lead to a career for me, I have realised that a typical 9 to 5 office job isn't really for me and would like to do something rewarding. I am very interested in training to become a Maths Teacher in a Secondary School, my current tutor thinks that I am competent enough in Mathematics to obtain a degree. I have worked with individuals that have challenging behaviour since I wanted to make a difference to others and my Grandfather was actually a Lecturer of Mathematics so it's nice that I would be following in his footsteps.

So I was wondering if someone could give me some advice as to what it's like teaching in a Secondary School and what the challenges are? Also with regards to my course options if I studied either of the above courses, what further training would I need to complete and how long/difficult would that be? Would studying Mathematics and its learning be more useful or ultimately would it make no difference if I was to study Mathematics without it being geared towards Education.
salopian
Just Registered
Just Registered

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Introductions