How to Become a Teacher

How do I become a teacher? A regularly asked question on the Teachers Forum, this article should tell you all you need to know.
There are a number of ways into teaching, some of which depend on your current situation and qualifications.
Rest assured though, there will be a way into teaching for you, good luck!

This article relates to those wanting to teach in state-maintained schools in England and Wales

Routes into Teaching

To become a teacher you will need QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) this ensures that you have achieved a suitable skill level to become a teacher.

To gain QTS you will need to complete a programme of ITT (Initial Teacher Training) this will involve at least 18 weeks practical experience in a school environment. ITT can be performed through a number of options, one of which should suit everyone with the desire to become a teacher:

Undergraduate Courses

You can train to be a teacher whilst completing a degree through a BEd (Bachelor of Education), BA (Bachelor of Arts) or BSc (Bachelor of Science), the latter two with an included QTS course. The courses normally take 3-4 years full time and the BEd is a popular route for those interested in primary teaching.

Postgraduate Courses

1 year PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate of Education) courses are a popular route, providing a further year of college/university study, focussing specifically on teaching, you are expected to already have a thorough understanding (degree level) of your chosen subject.
PGCE courses will provide a total of 24 weeks (18 for primary) placement in at least 2 schools.

SCITT (School-Centred Initial Teacher Training) courses provide an alternative to PGCE (though a PGCE qualification may be awarded with some). Favoured by those who have not been in higher education for some time, SCITT is usually the route to take if you are looking for a more classroom based learning experience. SCITT is provided by groups of local Schools and Colleges with skills provided by practising teachers and often tailored towards the local educational needs. (SCITT is not available in all areas and is a competitive route to take). View the Graduate Teacher Training Registry website for further details.

Education Based Training

The GTP (Graduate Teacher Programme) provides a 1 year school based employment programme, tailored for the individual. This is a preferred route by mature people who wish for a career to change but still need to earn whilst they train. Competition is high and places limited. Places can be found through school advertisements, or via a Designated Recommending Body (in England), usually your Local Education Authority.

RTP (Registered Teacher Programme) is available to individuals who have completed 2 years of a degree course. You will need to find employment as an unqualified teacher in a school that is willing to train you on the individual tailored programme. This route allows you to continue to gain your degree level qualification along with your QTS over a 2 year period, whilst earning unqualified teacher's salary.

OTTP (Overseas Trained Teacher Programme) allows qualified teachers from within the EU and some teachers from outside the EU to work in England whilst training for their QTS. Through working in a school a tailored programme provides additional training required to gain QTS. EU teachers may be able to apply for an Assessment Only route to QTS. Visit the National Academic Recognition Centre (NARIC) website or contact the Overseas Trained Teacher Advice Line on 01245 454321 for further details.

Not found what you're looking for?


Comments to date: 208. Page 3 of 21.
Average Rating:


Sunday, October 5th, 2014

The F1 Forum will c

Greg   London

Tuesday, June 24th, 2014

Hi. I have just tried the literacy test and it is quite difficult. I am a maths and science private tutor so if you need help and you are in the West London, Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire are, please email me on geze53 at gmail dot com and I will he... read more »


Thursday, November 21st, 2013

"We cant let Scott Brown and the Republicans take over the Senate and block President Obamas agenda," Clinton said on the call. "Elizabeth Warren is a fighter for middle-class families and for small businesses."A Massachusetts rivalry featuring two t... read more »

Mr Chuck Ebdon   United Kingdom

Sunday, August 25th, 2013

I really appreateate this website

Dave   London

Saturday, February 2nd, 2013

I just wanted to find out whether other people are experiencing barriers to becoming a teacher. My partner is originally from Colombia but has lived in the UK for many years and is fluent in English. He obtained a baccalaureate at high school which i... read more »

nafisa   birmingham

Tuesday, January 15th, 2013

hi i am at college in my first year and i am studying health and social care btec to become a secondary school teacher. i just wanted help in choosing university courses that lead to becoming a secondary school teacher

Radha   Pitsea

Wednesday, January 2nd, 2013

I want to become a teacher when I'm older. Right now, I'm only twelve, and I know that the country could change at any time and I might not even be able to get a decent job, but I want to know what to look out for when I'm ready, so that I can sort o... read more »


Sunday, December 30th, 2012

Hi can somebody help me please. I have a degree in health and social care, I also have experience with children and young adults in a variety of settings. I currently live in France and even though I am no where near fluent in French, I aim to be. Th... read more »

Kieran   Wolverhampton

Thursday, November 22nd, 2012

(and two other a levels of your choice), do an english degree, and then do a PCGE after your degree

Kieran   Wolverhampton

Thursday, November 22nd, 2012

You then can go through the a level route which takes two years to get into university.

Page:  1   2  -3-  4   5   6   7   8  

Add Comment

Your Name:

Your Location:


Your Comment:

Security check *

security image